Monday, August 27, 2012

True Joy

I'm sitting in an airport looking at people, all races, many nationalities, all passing by me.  Some pause for a meal, others wait for flights.  Some looked bored, some tense, but I seldom see a smile anywhere.  Is anyone happy?

Before I looked up to watch people, I had been reading the Gospel of Mark, thinking about Jesus and what He did on the Sabbath.  He didn't follow all the Jewish customs for the Sabbath.  He healed people on the Sabbath, went for walks with His disciples and did other things that infuriated the Jewish leaders.  He told them that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.  People don't understand God, they don't understand that a Sabbath day of rest is for our good, to allow us to recuperate and give us extended time to spend with God.  And of course people in general don't understand that the only way we are going to be truly happy in life is if we have a great relationship with God,.  Living in relationship with God, with Jesus, is not enslavement, it is liberty.  Following God's desires for us will give us a wonderful life and a happier one.  Living for Jesus does not deprives us of joy and wonderful experiences it provides joy and wonderful experiences.  As I look at the frowning, sad faces around me in the airport I wonder how many of these people have a true, wonderful, vital relationship with Jesus. 

My observation of people is that they do many things searching for happiness but only find it in fleeting moments.  And watching Christians shows me that those who are truly joyful are the ones who have wonderful, intimate relationships with Jesus.  It's not church attendance which brings joy, not reading the Bible or reciting long prayers which brings joy.  Joy comes when we do these things because of our loving, intimate relationship with Jesus.  I choose to share my days with Jesus, to talk with Him about everything.  I know that is the path to true joy and fulfilment.

No comments:

Post a Comment