Thursday, December 15, 2016

It's All About the Context

It’s getting close to Christmas.  Here where we live we just had the worst snow storm in a decade.  A snow storm here in a place where it almost never snows.  Now it is cold, well below freezing, and we have lots of snow on the ground.  People in other parts of Canada laugh at us because we declare “Snowmagedon” when temperatures hit freezing and a few snow flakes fall.  No sympathy at all!

How we feel about things is all about context.  Our context here is that it rains a lot and almost never snows.  The temperature is almost always above freezing.  Snow and cold are not normal so we don’t know what to do when we get winter weather which is normal in the rest of Canada.  Context is important in our lives.  Most people live pretty insulated lives, making their own decisions, doing what they want, trying to make the best of things.  Christmas is a time when I am reminded that there is a lot bigger context than my own life.  There is a God who formed the universe.  There is a Saviour who was born in Bethlehem.  He came to earth to die as a sacrifice, to die for me, to restore my relationship with God.  When I accepted that relationship which was offered to me through Jesus my context instantly changed.  Life is no longer about just me, but about how God want’s to use me to help others. 

For me, Christmas truly is about Jesus’ birth, the gift of salvation he offered me and which I received.  Christmas is about family, all of us together in Jesus, loving one another, loving our Saviour and serving Him.  Christmas is about Joy.  Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment