Thursday, February 13, 2020

Careless Words

I was reading some things that friends had shared on the internet when it struck me that much of it was pretty negative.  There were funny things, some good advice, but a lot of very negative words and articles making fun of people or their ideas or beliefs.  In some cases it ridiculed the way that people in other cultures went about their daily life.  This morning that started me thinking about what we say and do and share with others.

What do I want to do?  Do I want to build up others or tear them down?  Do I want to make fun of people or lift them up?  Words, pictures, videos, all are powerful communicators of what we feel inside.  The question I asked myself is, "How do I want to influence others?"  I don't think I want to share things that tear down others.  I think I would rather build them up and help them.  If I have a different view of things then perhaps I should lovingly present my viewpoint, not angrily and mockingly dismiss theirs and in the process insult or belittle them. 

For me, a Christian, the question becomes one of asking how God would like me to treat others and respond to ideas which are different from mine.  In the Bible, in the fifth chapter of the book of Matthew, Jesus said, "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"  We are supposed to love even our enemies, even those whose ideas differ from ours. How much love am I showing to people if I mock them and their ideas?  I am going to resolve to be careful what I share with others on the internet, or face to face.  I think that is what Jesus wants me to do.

1 comment: