Thursday, June 3, 2010

Inconvenience

It’s been sunny today, and although I am working in my office I know it is sunny outside.  My office is bright and it makes the world seem happier, nicer, more beautiful.  We’ve had a couple weeks of rain and it does get a bit dreary, a bit tiring, even if the grass and flowers are happy.  I like to get outside and go for a walk in the evenings, but I don’t like getting wet so on rainy days I don’t go out.  Okay, I’m a wimp, but I prefer to be dry.

Isn’t it amazing how we like things to be nice, convenient, just right.  I want to be in shape, I want some exercise, but not if I’m going to get wet.  People, me included, just don’t like to be inconvenienced.  That’s one of the problems with our faith as Christians.  It sometimes inconveniences us.  To truly follow Jesus is a bold step which alters everything you do in life.  If it doesn’t alter everything, then there is a really good possibility you are not a Christian.  It’s that inconvenience that causes many people to reject Jesus and all that He offers us.

As a Christian I no longer direct my own life, my life is directed by Jesus.  I want to please Him, not myself.  I want people to see Him praised, not me.  I want others to come to know Jesus personally, just the way I do.  Yes, Jesus changed my life, but I am so glad that He did.  I am so glad that I can let Him be in charge.  My task is to just figure out what He wants and then do it, and in doing it I have joy. 

Being a Christian is sometimes a bit inconvenient, but I am so glad that I can be a bit inconvenienced for my Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment